Headquarters | Station 38
7061 Mt. Aukum Rd.
P.O. Box 128
Office: (530) 620-4444
Tues. – Thurs.
9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Home Fire Saftey Tips
- Smoke Detector Safety:
- Install a smoke detector on every floor and inside each bedroom of your home.
- Test & clean your smoke detectors monthly.
- Change batteries at least once a year.
- Prepare & practice an escape plan.
- Wood Stoves & Fireplaces:
- Use only seasoned wood—never green wood, artificial logs or trash.
- Always use protective screen.
- Clean interior of fireplaces & chimneys annually.
- Portable Heaters:
- Keep portable heaters & space heaters at least 3-feet away from anything that can burn.
- Never leave heaters on when you leave home or go to bed.
- Use heaters only in well-ventilated rooms.
- Keep children and pets away from heaters.
- Place heaters where they will not be knocked over easily.
- Remove dead branches overhanging roof.
- Clean dead leaves from roof and rain gutters.
- Cover chimney outlet with a spark arrestor.
- Cooking Safety:
- Never leave food unattended on the stove.
- Keep dangling clothing away from burners.
- Keep appliances clean & free of grease and crumbs.
- Keep combustibles away from cooking areas.
- Turn pot handles inward on stove where you can’t bump them and children can’t grab them.
- Children & Fire Safety:
- Keep lighters and matches away from children.
- Teach them how to call emergency assistance.
- Use safety plugs in electrical outlets.
- If you see smoke or fire, call 911 immediately!